Louder Now On Instagram

Wednesday 26 August 2015

New Found Glory - Boardwalk Empire, Piano & 400,000 Likes

Cyrus Bolooki - New Found Glory
O2 Academy Islington
24/08/2015


It's not every day you get to meet the legends of Pop-Punk and see them warm up for Reading and Leeds Festival, one of the biggest dates in the musical calendar. 

So when we sat down with New Found Glory drummer, Cyrus Bolooki we put a pile of ridiculous questions in front of him. Obviously.  


What decade would you most like to have been born in and why?
That's a great question, and one that I don't think I've ever been asked! I'm currently in the middle of watching the TV series Boardwalk Empireand so I think in the spirit of that show I'll say the 1920s...obviously a very interesting time given how much has changed since then. I don't know about here in the UK, but in the US there was a lot of crazy stuff happening with prohibition and it just seems like it would be a fun time to be born in. However, that being said, I probably wouldn't have lived long (obviously healthcare was nowhere near as advanced as it is now), and I highly doubt I would have ever been able to be in a band and travel all over the world like I have been fortunate enough to do in my life. So on second thought, maybe I'll just stick to my current life, a kid from the 1980s!
Is there any musical instrument that you would love to be able to play?
I'm a drummer by trade yet played guitar before joining NFG, and I started my musical career by playing the piano.  I would love to become better at piano, to the point where there's no effort in playing almost any tune, because I think the piano is one of the best ways to learn music in general, and it is pretty accessible meaning that you can play anything from a small keyboard all the way up to a grand piano, instead of having to purchase an expensive (and/or large) instrument. 
Who is the last person on earth you would want to be stuck in a lift with?
There isn't a specific person, but rather a "type" of person. I would hate to be stuck in a lift with the uber-pessimistic person; the person who immediately would think worst-case scenario, and whose overwhelming anxiety would surely bring us both to a quick end.  Just relax and calm down buddy, and (hopefully) help will come!
What is your favourite memory of being in New Found Glory?
Fortunately we've had plenty of amazing experiences in NFG and it's really hard to pick just one memory. However being that I'm in the UK right now, I can definitely look back on our appearances at Reading Festival as some of the biggest (and best) shows we've ever played as a band. When we played Reading 2 years ago my drum tech posted a picture while we were performing on the main stage of the view from over my shoulders showcasing just how many people were actually there watching us. That picture was later reposted by the official Instagram and ended up receiving over 400,000 likes! It was truly an amazing picture, an amazing show, and an amazing memory that I will always cherish! 
What excites you the most about the future of your band? 
At this point, I'm excited about the fact that NFG has been going strong for almost 20 years now, and that there seems to be no end in sight. Every year we find ourselves traveling to new countries, new cities, and doing things that we never thought imaginable. We continue to write, record, and release new music constantly, and our shows are just as fun now as ever. We've been able to have an amazing career not only in the US but all over the world, and I am truly grateful for the opportunities that have been presented to us. Like I said, there seems to be no end in sight and I want to continue to do this for as long as we can, so just the thought of keeping this going is enough to excite me and hopefully does the same for all the NFG fans out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment